Phi Gamma Delta History
The organization was founded on April 22, 1848, at Jefferson College in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. Six college students gathered in a dormitory room (known by the students as "Fort Armstrong") to establish a secret society. The society they formed was initially called "The Delta Association". The founders, referred to by members as the "Immortal Six", were John Templeton McCarty, Samuel Beatty Wilson, James Elliott, Jr., Ellis Bailey Gregg, Daniel Webster Crofts, and Naaman Fletcher.
The first regular meeting of Phi Gamma Delta and the adoption of the Fraternity's Constitution took place on May 1, 1848. Consequently, May 1 was chosen to be "Founder's Day" at the 43rd Convention held in 1891 and has traditionally been celebrated as the founding date of the Fraternity.
The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta, also known as Fiji or Phi Gam, has 133 chapters and 17 colonies at the foremost colleges and universities of the United States and Canada.
Phi Gamma Delta offers much to our members through leadership development, educational programs, and lifelong friendships.
Whether you are a student on a campus, a parent or university administrator, this area will give you a sense of Phi Gamma Delta's history, scope, and, most importantly, current opportunities and benefits.
Phi Gamma Delta is dedicated to developing men of character within the academic setting, with the aim that they will become fully contributing members of society. In pursuit of this mission, the Fraternity promotes five core values: Friendship, which brings us together and is the basis of our brotherhood. Knowledge, the primary reason our members attend college and the key to a fuller, richer life. Service, in recognition of our obligation to give back to the campus and community that foster our growth. Morality, our commitment to do what is right in all our relationships. Excellence, the achievement of the full potential of the chapter and the individual members.
Members of Phi Gamma Delta hold our Greek letters in reverence. Therefore, we limit their display to a select number of places, such as the front of the chapter house, the fraternity flag, class rings, and the member badge. When our Fraternity is named in campus or interfraternity publications, we prefer the full spelling of Phi Gamma Delta rather than use of the Greek letters or the nickname Fiji. The nickname "Fiji" came from the Phi Gams at New York University, when they were trying to decide the name for a fraternity-wide magazine and "Fee Gee" was suggested (a play on the Greek letters Phi and Gamma). In 1894, Fiji was adopted as the fraternity-wide nickname for Phi Gamma Delta.
Our International Headquarters
Located in the heart of the Bluegrass in Lexington, Kentucky, the Phi Gamma Delta International Headquarters includes office space for the 25 staff members of the Fraternity and the Phi Gamma Delta Educational Foundation, in addition to housing a museum, a library/boardroom, and a three-bedroom apartment. The Headquarters operation was moved from Washington, DC, to Lexington in 1973, and was housed in leased office space for the next 12 years.
The current International Headquarters building at 1201 Red Mile Road was completed and occupied in May 1985. Brothers, pledges, and family members are encouraged to visit the International Headquarters whenever visiting the area.